Monday, September 24, 2012

homesickness

I'm really not the type to get homesick. I've been traveling alone since I was 13, I went to high school and college relatively far from home, I'm not very attached to my childhood house, and I honestly prefer going to the mall and shopping alone. the point here is that I'm fairly independent and not the type to go immediately running to mommy and daddy when $#!T hits the fan.

but when I got sick while abroad, I felt so lonely and so helpless to help myself that I got really, really homesick. being sick away from home really blows. there's nobody around to ask you how you're doing, no way to get fresh food and water without walking for 20 minutes (not possible when you can't get up without vomiting), and nobody wants to get sick themselves so they do themselves a favor and stay as far away as possible. if you've ever felt alone in a new place, just wait until you get sick.

my sick face. somebody care about me!!!!

so how have I been coping with feeling homesick and lonely? I'm finding that writing helps. I love to write, but I've never been much of a journaler. I'm trying to change that. this blog has also been surprisingly fun to write, I thought it'd be more of a chore but I actually find myself anticipating activities and adventures just because I'll get to write about them later. activities like reading a familiar book, emotional eating, and forcing friends/family to talk to me are also very helpful. things like being glued to Facebook exacerbate homesickness and I recommend NOT doing that. 

in case I bummed you out with this post. sorry, here's a cute picture to make up for it.


this little post is a PSA for everybody who has a dear friend, family member, or SO studying abroad in some far off corner of the world. don't wait for your super busy, globe-trotting friend/family/SO to "find the time" to contact you, reach out first and tell them how much you miss them!

PS. benvenuti to everybody who is reaching my blog by Google searching for plaster casts of dead bodies in Pompeii! 

2 comments:

  1. Aw, hope you're feeling better. wanted to take the time out to tell you thank you for posting all of this. i am applying to oxy and want to go to italy to study abroad myself so this is really inspiring. thanks again, hope you're still truckin' on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey thanks for reading, glad you're liking the blog. you probably found me through the admissions blog so you already know but all of us are available for questions if you have them, my e-mail should be floating around on that admissions page somewhere if you have anything you want to know more about! good luck with the admissions process!!

      Delete